Halloween will be here before we know it, which means it’s almost time to start thinking about humorous or magical Halloween costumes and festive decor, right? But just like it’s the one time of the year when we can be someone or something else entirely, why not also get creative with Halloween decorations for your fish tank?
Halloween is the perfect time to show off our creative side by coming up with unique and fun-filled aquariums. These creative ideas will ensure that every inch of your aquarium will look festive and a little spooky. Not to mention, many of them are seasonal enough that you can keep them up all holidays long or even year-round spookiness.
So here comes our carefully selected, easy, fun, and budget-friendly Halloween aquarium decor ideas to inspire you. Let’s get started!
Halloween Aquarium Pumpkin Decoration
As you might have guessed, the easiest way to get your fish tank in the seasonal spirit is to add a pumpkin or two into the mix. These ornaments make a striking centerpiece, which will add a splash of scares to your aquarium.
Most of them are made from durable resin and can be safe both in freshwater and saltwater aquariums. They also provide a great hiding place for your fish, shrimp, and snails, enriching the aquarium environment.
Pumpkins aren’t just for Jack-O-Lanterns, you know? Depending on your tank size, you can find all sorts of Halloween aquarium ornaments that are shaped like pumpkins. This Thrills and Chills™ Pumpkin Terrarium is the largest option, while the collection from Etsy is so much fun and cute.
- Thrills and Chills™ Pumpkin Terrarium: Shop on Petsmart
- Sporn Pumpkin with Fish Aquarium Ornament: Shop on Chewy.com
- Halloween Fish Tank Decorations: Shop on Etsy
Halloween-Themed Resin Aquarium Ornaments
Besides pumpkin shapes, consider other eerie objects, from ghosts and skulls to spooky castles. There’s an aquarium decoration that will turn your fish tank into a real-life haunted house.
You can find these on Amazon, Chewy, and Petco. They are also made from resin, which is safe in fresh and saltwater environments.
These mini resins range in size, so you may want to consider the tank size before purchasing. Find one that is proportionate and will not overcrowd the space. Examine it carefully for small holes or sharp edges that can injure the fish.
Safety is always our #1 priority!
Halloween Window Clings Decals
- Halloween Window Clings：one set contains 10 sheets Halloween themed window stickers, measures 11x8.7 in...
- Material: this holiday window clings are made with premium PVC with vibrant color paintings, double-sided...
- Cute Design: this set of window gel decals stickers are specially designed for Halloween party decoration...
- Use Instruction: these window gel stickers can easily stick on smooth surface,like glass, just clean the...
- Wide Application: this set of window clings decal stickers are perfect for Halloween home decorations,...
You really can use anything to make simple and pretty Halloween aquarium decorations if you know where to look. Take these spooky window clings for instance. All you need to do is stick them outside your fish tank and watch as they ooze with the holiday spirit.
This particular set comes with 146 different sheets, so you can play around with the design until you find something you like. This is a good idea for fish keepers who are short on time. In just 5 minutes, you can add a little bit of holiday cheer to your aquarium without any hassle.
Halloween Aquarium Background
Turn your fish tank into a creepy, spooky scene for Halloween with this easy-to-install and remove aquarium background. It will transform your ordinary fish tank into the festive decor.
If you really want to go all out, why not try putting these ornaments, window clings, and background together to create the ultimate Halloween fish tank? After all, it is the time to let your creativity shine!
Shop here: Etsy
Halloween-Themed Rocks and Substrate
Like the Red is a sign of Christmas, the combo color of orange and black is so strongly associated with Halloween . Basically, this is the traditional guideline for festive Autumn-themed decor – orange and black whenever possible.
So, the idea is to use black and orange gravel and sand as the substrate to create a dark and mysterious look in your aquarium. Of course, changing the substrate requires more work and comes with risk. It’s best to overlap the new substrate with the old one during a regular large water change to minimize the impact on your fish and plants.
I have used Petco Imagitarium Orange Aquarium Gravel for fish tanks many times, and I like it because of its vibrant colors, and it looks so good with my autumn-themed aquariums.
No products found.
You can go with the black diamond blasting sand if you prefer a more natural look. Pairing this with some stunning orange stones and ornaments will create a festive and spooky display for your home this Halloween season!
- Safe & Long Lasting: Non-toxic just like river gravels. Natural color won't fade away through time. These...
- Good for cultivating plants, fish tank, flowerpots, air plants. For plant bedding, they could add...
- 100% Natural Colorful Decorative Pebbles: Set up a natural and shining looking for home of you and your...
- Net Weight: 0.9 pound (400 grams). Fills 1 Cup or 0.25 L volume.
- Widely Usage: Excellent for aquariums, terrariums, flowerpot, glassware, vases, beach wedding, fountain...
Aquarium Plants for Orange Accents
Mix and match. Easily add orange accents to the black substrate by simply adding live or plastic plants that are orange in color. They also enhance your aquatic landscape and make it more aesthetically pleasing. Moreover, they also provide shelter and serve as a convenient hideaway for your finned friends.
- Use these colorful Plastic Sea lilies to create coverage at the bottom of your Aquarium
- Compatible with freshwater/Saltwater/Tropical Aquarium set ups
- Fish friendly
- Item Package weight : 0.22 pounds
Halloween Sparkle Aquarium Ornament
Now, we’ve come up with two basic guidelines for our Halloween aquarium decor – pumpkin, the combo color of orange and black. So, it’s time to add some sparkle into the mix as well as our Rule 3: “Everything’s better with glitter.” This is so true when it comes to Halloween and Christmas aquarium decorations!
I’ve found this amazing glow-in-the-dark Halloween aquarium ornament on Amazon that would be perfect for your holiday display. It’s so shiny, bright, and festive, and it also allows fish to swim in for a little fun. You will proudly display this underwater fluorescent decoration all year round.
- DETAILED DESIGN: The GloFish Anemone Ornament creates a unique seafloor experience in your aquarium.
- BASK IN THE GLOW: Silvery finish produces a dazzling glow under GloFish LED lights.
- SAFE HIDEOUT: GloFish ornaments offer secure hideaways.
- FLUORESCENT DÉCOR: Create a brightly colored aquatic wonderland with GloFish ornaments, plants and...
- BRINGING COLOR TO LIFE: GloFish fluorescent fish and products create a complete underwater fluorescent...
However, this silicone ornament does get dirty and attracts algae growth easily. So, you will need to clean it thoroughly weekly to keep it looking its best.
DIY – How to Graveyard In An Aquarium
There’s no better way to add creep to your aquarium than with a DIY graveyard scene. If you want to take it a step further, you can add a fog machine to create a truly eerie effect. This is a fun and creative project that the whole family can enjoy.
DIY – How to Make [ SKULL CAVE ] Terrarium
As you may know, Petsmart and Amazon sell aquarium skull cave decorations – little more than a small skull aquarium ornament. But wouldn’t it be more fun to make your own? This video will show you how to make a realistic-looking skull cave inspired by KONG: Skull island film.
DIY – I Made A Spooky Halloween Fish Tank
Another fantastic video from Aquarium Info. In this video, Jamie gives you an overview of the entire process of setting up a Halloween-themed aquarium from start to finish. You’ll get to see how to set up the basic Halloween aquarium decor, as well as how to add some fun and unique touches that will really make your fish tank stand out.
There you have it, our 10 Halloween aquarium decor ideas to get your creative juices flowing. With just a few simple additions, you can easily turn your fish tank into a Halloween wonderland that is both festive and fun. So, what are you waiting for? Get started on your Halloween aquarium decor today!